Saturday, December 27, 2008

Visiting Fred


Meet Fred. He is one of the school's guard. How did we end up at his house? On the way home from town, I asked Derek to stop by the open market for some fresh produce, and while I was shopping, (yes, I actually go by myself to the market now and am learning to bargain for Kenyan prices!) Fred and his wife spotted Derek and asked him for a ride home. We expected to just drop him off by his home, but were asked to come in for a "refreshment." They are sweet people. They have 4 children, cows, chickens, and rabbits. They offered us some very sweet pineapple, chapati and peanuts. They were thrilled to us (mzungus, white people) visiting them! This is how they pump their water. I told him I should be here every morning pumping his water. It is a good work out! Water is very expensive here. Most people don't have running water in their house and have to pay about $.25 per liter. Don't complain about your water, or your water bill! At least you don't have to get up in the wee hours of the morning to get water.


I told the boys this would be great for them to do when they were bored or needed some attitude adjustment!




This is how Fred pumps his water for daily use.

1 comment:

American Swede Photography said...

Hey Guys,
this is David, not Kristen. Just using her login. Good to see how you are doing. I also read your blog about the hike. Whew! Mt. Kenya sounds like a cool challenge to prepare for.

We miss you around here. Especially when we have to be under the house for nine hours!